Bringing retail, trade and commerce from a storied past into the 21st century
Set in the midst of Montreal’s International Quarter, the Canada Steamship Lines Building was originally designed by architects Hutchison and Wood at the turn of the 20th century. Completely redeveloped in 1989, the property is now considered a regional landmark.
Its redesigned structure features steel-encased concrete, which elegantly recalls the original building’s Italian Renaissance style. Its atrium houses a variety of exhibitions, elegant boutiques and services, fast food, as well as fine dining restaurants.
The two-tiered granite lobby is accentuated by granite-clad columns with maple capital and topped by magnificent, vaulted ceilings. Its design suggests a cross between refined elegance and contemporary efficiency.
The property is situated close to the Montreal-Trudeau International Airport and within walking distance to Montreal’s Central Station. Connected to the InterContinental Montreal hotel, the Canada Steamship Lines Building also features a food court as well as indoor access to the metro station Square Victoria and to indoor parking.
Among its many features, it counts a 24/7 onsite security service and an urban farm on the roof. State-of-the-art electrical and mechanical systems are fully integrated and maintained to ensure maximum energy efficiency.
Built in two phases in 1899 and 1906/07, this building was home to one of Canada’s largest dry goods wholesalers of the time. Greenshields Limited occupied the whole building until 1933, when the business merged with two other companies and changed locations. The building was purchased in 1946 by Canada Steamship Lines, a growing shipping and transportation company that supported maritime trade efforts during both World Wars. To this day, the building bears the name Canada Steamship Lines Building for its former owner.
Purchased in 1976 by Power Corporation of Canada and completely redeveloped in 1989, it is adjacent to Power Corporation’s head office in the adjoining McIntyre Building.
The Canada Steamship Lines Building is one of six heritage buildings located on the historical “Fortification Lane” that borders Old Montreal. This renowned lane was encased in a glass atrium and transformed into a commercial centre, allowing tenants and the general public to benefit from all common facilities.
The standard office layout is built on a flexible 2' x 2' ceiling grid, complete with integrated fluorescent lighting and ceiling ducts. This system ensures balanced air quality and units maximize the usable floor space.
All heating, fresh air, and air conditioning systems are fully functional 24 hours a day. The air systems are individually adjustable with controls every 225 square feet. The typical floor plate measures 19,240 square feet.
Two state-of-the-art elevators ensure efficient passenger traffic, and two freight elevators service all floors connecting to the interior loading dock.
All electrical and mechanical systems are supervised 24 hours a day, ensuring all essential services even in case of a power outage.
The building is equipped with fibre optics and a 200 kW auto-start diesel generator.